[vtkusers] VTK on two graphics cards?

Samson Timoner Samson at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 19 08:41:36 EST 2010

Thanks for your help David.

One other question: If I instead wanted to open up two vtk OpenGL
windows, one covering the entirety of each graphics card, is there a
command to tell vtk to be full screen on one graphics card?

If not, might you happen to know how can I can query X to get the
coordinates for a particular monitor/graphics card?

Thanks!

-- Samson

For NVidia cards, all you have to do is set up TwinView in a
side-by-side configuration.  Use nvidia-settings to do this (you can
run it from the command-line or select it from the menu).

For other cards, you might be out of luck.  You can use Xinerama to
make your linux desktop span both monitors, but hardware OpenGL
acceleration might not work in this configuration.  You might have to
use non-accelerated OpenGL instead, and the way this is done will vary
from system to system (on Ubuntu 10.04 the non-accelerated OpenGL is
kept in /usr/lib/mesa).

   David

>/  I'm wondering what VTK's support is for a two graphics card setup. I have a
/>/  two graphics card system on linux, each with one monitor.
/>/
/>/  Can I open a single VTK OpenGL render window across both monitors?
/>/
/>/  Thanks,
/>/
/>/    -- Samson/