[vtkusers] How to use backface culling with polylines

Donny donnyz at charter.net
Thu Nov 18 20:17:56 EST 2010

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have attached two images to visualize what
follows. I hope I can explain this clearly.

I have three renderers that I am adding to the render window.

The first is to contain a textured  vtkGlobeSource actor and is called the
background renderer.

The second contains several vtkPolyData actors and are lines (State and
county boundaries, roads, rivers
), this is called the map renderer.

The Third contains an actor visualizing a weather radar volume, this is
called the radar renderer.

The background renderer is always set as layer 0 and so is always rendered
first.

The map renderer and radar renderer will alternate between the 1st and 2nd
layers depending on the view angle of the camera.

If the camera is more than 45 degrees above the horizon then the radar
renderer is layer 1 and the map renderer is layer 2 so that the user can see
the features below the radar volume.

If the camera is less than or equal to 45 degrees above the horizon then the
map renderer is layer 1 and the radar renderer is layer 2 so that the radar
volume is always in front of the map features.

This works fine until I draw all state lines for the entire US. Because the
vtkGlobeSource simulates the curvature of the earth I see the backside of
the state lines where they are over the view horizon.

Is there a way I can put the map features and radar volume on the same
renderer and accomplish the same thing?

Thanks.