[vtkusers] using itk transform in vtk

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 16:31:05 EST 2010

Hi Karl,

The VTK transform operates on the physical origin, which can be at any
desired location in the image.  The relationship between DICOM
coordinates and VTK coordinates is explained thusly:

DICOM has three fields related to the positions of the image voxels in
physical (or patient) space:
- ImagePositionPatient (position of upper right corner)
- ImageOrientationPatient (row and column directions)
- PixelSpacing (X and Y)

VTK image data has two fields (no orientation):
- Origin (position of lower right corner)
- Spacing (X, Y, and Z)

Note that the image data "Origin" is a misnomer, it is not the
physical origin of the coordinate system.  It is just the position of
the voxel in the lower left corner.  It is the responsibility of the
VTK image reader that you are using to set the Origin and Spacing of
the data correctly.  (And again, I will repeat that what VTK calls the
image "Origin" is not the physical image origin, it is just a
position).

The fundamental difference between these two coordinate systems is not
the location of the origin, it is a vertical flip since DICOM images
are top-to-bottom while VTK images are bottom-to-top.  When dealing
with DICOM, I set the VTK image "origin" to the DICOM
ImagePositionPatient, and then apply a view transform that flips the
image by using a rotation of 180 degrees about the X axis.

 - David