[vtkusers] [Insight-users] creating centerlines of tubes

Sergio Vera sergio.vera at alma3d.com
Tue Nov 9 03:12:21 EST 2010

Hello All

The article that Xiapeng referenced only work with binary images, not with
polygonal representations of tubes. Also, standard thinning produces way too
spurious branches  to be really useful. If you have tubular data and need
it's centerline I strongly recommend flux based centerline calculation:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/165

<http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/165>How ever, if you have
polygonal data as input, AFAIK, VMTK has tools to calculate centerlines
based on this knid of representation, but I'm not 100% sure.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Xiaopeng Yang <yxp233 at postech.ac.kr> wrote:

> Hi Caitlin,
>
> You can try a 3D thinning algorithm published in the Insight Journal:
>
> http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/181
>
> Xiaopeng

Sergio Vera

 Alma IT Systems