[vtkusers] DICOM patient position and direction cosines?

Mark Roden mmroden at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 16:45:08 EDT 2010

Hi Justin,

It was actually because I received HFS, FFS, and left decubitus patients
that I had to implement this solution, most of which came from Eclipse, some
from Velocity.  Without the flipping, the RTStructs did not work, and the
coordinates when read into VTK were wrong.  Again, I'm not sure if it's
bugged behavior, or who would be responsible for it if it were, just that I
had to do this to get the data to register into the same space.

The first patients I worked with were FFS, and they didn't require any
changes.  Then came the HFS, then the decubitus.  I think it's very site and
protocol specific as to the orientation of the patient into the scanner.

Mark