[vtkusers] Using vtkGlyph with vtkCurvatures

David Welch dmwelch at engineering.uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 18 13:42:23 EDT 2010

I'm trying to visualize the curvature of a geodesic using vtkArrow and I
cannot figure out how to pass the normal vectors to vtkGlyph3D to orient and
scale the vectors appropriately.  I've included my code below.  Any
suggestions?  Thanks!

vtkPolyDataNormals *pathNormals = vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
pathNormals->SetInputConnection( geodesicPath->GetOutputPort() );
pathNormals->SplittingOff();
pathNormals->Update();

vtkCurvatures *pathCurvature = vtkCurvatures::New();
pathCurvature->SetInputConnection( geodesicPath->GetOutputPort() );
pathCurvature->SetCurvatureTypeToGaussian();
pathCurvature->Update();

vtkPolyDataMapper *curvatureMap = vtkPolyDataMapper::New();
curvatureMap->SetInputConnection(pathCurvature->GetOutputPort());

vtkArrowSource *arrows = vtkArrowSource::New();
vtkGlyph3D *glyphs = vtkGlyph3D::New();
glyphs->SetInputConnection( 1, pathNormals->GetOutputPort() );
glyphs->SetInputConnection( 0, pathCurvature->GetOutputPort() );
glyphs->SetSourceConnection( arrows->GetOutputPort() );
glyphs->SetScaleModeToScaleByScalar();
glyphs->SetScaleFactor(5.0);
glyphs->SetVectorModeToUseNormal();
glyphs->SetColorModeToColorByScalar();