[vtkusers] VTK Python Wrapper on OSX

Kabir Soorya phantom982002 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 00:30:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

In trying to run make install for VTK, I get the following error:

Checking .pth file support in /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/
error: can't create or remove files in install directory

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
installation directory:

    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/test-easy-install-53618.pth'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

    /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/

This directory does not currently exist.  Please create it and try again, or
choose a different installation directory (using the -d or --install-dir
option).

I've tried googling, editing CMakeCache.txt (to remove the --prefix for
Python installs), and just running the command manually. The first two
failed, and the latter results in:

>>> import vtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/Users/kabir/Downloads/VTK-BUILD/Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py",
line 41, in <module>
    from common import *
  File "/Users/kabir/Downloads/VTK-BUILD/Wrapping/Python/vtk/common.py",
line 7, in <module>
    from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: No module named libvtkCommonPython

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

~ K