[vtkusers] Best 3D rendering technique for a point cloud?

Jason T. jasontang65 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:14:58 EDT 2010

Hello,

I currently have a large, evenly spaced point cloud that is color mapped
with scalar data. It looks pretty good in 2D and 3D but once you zoom in the
resolution deteriorates dramatically because of the pixel spacing (which
cannot vary because the pixel data comes from a file).

I just want to hear some of your opinions on the best way to create a 3D
rendering using this data to fit nicely on a 3D surface (right now the point
cloud is a vtkPolyData).

I've tried vtkImageData and GDCM modules (both of which don't work very well
in my case to my dismay) and delaunay triangulation (which looks good but
it's hollow which is a problem since the point cloud is "solid").

Thanks everyone,
Jason