[vtkusers] Produce an MPEG file from a stack of JPEG image

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:20:24 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Kevin H. Hobbs <hobbsk at ohiou.edu> wrote:

> On 01/26/2010 08:19 AM, Fireman Fireman wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your answer.
> >
> > I'm using XP as operating system and C++/Qt   for development.
> >
> > I want to produce an MPEG file that can be read by a video player like
> Windows Media Player.
> >
> > I want to use a stack of JPEG  images as input and having as output a
> MPEG file
> >
> > Stack of JPEG  images  --------------- >  X ---------------------> MPEG
> file as output.
> >
> > I want to avoid the use of an external program because I want to
> integrate the process of transformation in my project.
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> >
> > --
>
> You may find the documentation for the vtkGenericMovieWriter class and
> it's subclasses useful. They can be found here :
>
> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGenericMovieWriter.html
>
> Using the MPEG2 writer class requires extra work on your part when VTK
> is compiled so you may find it easier to use the AVIWriter class which
> is available on windows builds of VTK.
>
> Since I always just write image files to disk with and encode them to a
> movie file later, I can not help you with these classes.

Fireman,

I can't test this as I'm not on Windows, but looking at the test for this
class, it looks like something like this may work:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Video/AVI

I use mencoder like Kevin mentioned, so I've never tried anything like this
in VTK before.

Let us know if you try it and if it works.

Thanks,

David