[vtkusers] new VTK_WRAP_PYTHON_SIP

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Aug 5 10:12:38 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Eric E. Monson <emonson at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> When someone involved gets a chance, could you give a quick summary of what
> we get with the new VTK_WRAP_PYTHON_SIP option? I don't understand enough
> about wrapping in general to follow anything too detailed, but I was
> wondering if there was a simple example of what new things this will allow
> us to do, or what it is building towards?
>
> I think this is Clinton's Qt/VTK wrapping work, allowing you to use both
VTK and PyQt to build rich applications in Python. It would be great to get
an overview of where this is at, I have been watching some of the threads
exchanging information with David Gobbi with great interest.

One of the large challenges is getting Qt objects into and out of VTK
objects. I did some previous work where we had to use sip to bridge the two
Python wrapped modules (our library and PyQt). I will not guess any further,
but I think this is basically what is being done.

Thanks,

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.