[vtkusers] vtkImagePlaneWidget contrast control

somi seesomi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:18:09 EDT 2010

Hi Jothy,
On digging further, I found the right click was linked to
vtkImagePlaneWidget::WindowLevel

Where window size and leve of the histogram were calculated and modified
based on mouse movements, to get rmin and rmax .
Finally , the lookuptable was modified LookupTable->SetTableRange( rmin,
rmax ); to adjust brightness/contrast.

So, I am planning to do the following:

from my vtkImagePLanewidget I would  GetLookupTable () and set its table
range rmin/rmax based on the Qt slider.
However I am not very clear between the relation of brightness/contrast
and   rmin/rmax in  LookupTable->SetTableRange( rmin, rmax );

I think the window/level refer to the following in a histogram:

             ____________
            /
           /
__________/
         | ^ |
         <-W->

and they are related to brightness/contrast by the following:

   minval = min(image)
   maxval = max(image)
   level = (1-brightness/100.)*(maxVal - minVal) + minVal
   window = (1-contrast/100.)*(maxVal - minVal)
where brightness/contrast can vary from 0 to 100.

So what value should I use for rmin/rmax in LookupTable->SetTableRange(
rmin, rmax ); ?

Regards,
Somi