[vtkusers] Multi-Planar Rendering of RTSTRUCT

Xiaofeng Z xf10036 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:55:55 EDT 2010

Hi all,

This topic might have been discussed here but I didn't find a good answer.

In DICOM, RT Structure consists of ROI's made of sets of in-plan contours.  What I need to do is to make multi-planar rendering of the ROI's.  In another word, to draw contours delineating the ROI's in all three view of a multi-planar rendering of the referenced CT image of the RT Structure.

The approach I having taking is to build a 3D surface from the contours, using vtkRuledSurfaceFilter, followed by vtkCutter to obtain the contours delineating the ROIs in the sagittal and the coronal view.  The problem with this approach is that it seems cutting a polygonal data surface by vtkCutter takes much too long to be practical.

The other way to do it is to transfer the contours to a binary grid, and create the contours from the grid.  I have been reluctant to go down this path out of the concern of resolution loss when the contours are transferred to the grid.

Any suggest will be appreciated!

Regards,
Xiaofeng