[vtkusers] Re sizing and saving a dicom file in jpg or other formats

Charl Botha c.p.botha at tudelft.nl
Fri Apr 23 03:24:25 EDT 2010

On 22 April 2010 13:52, circass <circass at gmail.com> wrote:
> I m trying to save my dicom images in jpg png and other formats that vtk
> supports. My problem is the width and height of the images. I want to be
> able to set them.
> How can i do that with VTK ?
> If it is not possible with vtk what else i can use for it ?

<disclaimer: I am the author of DeVIDE>

You could use the open source DeVIDE software, available from
http://graphics.tudelft.nl/Projects/DeVIDE

This youtube clip illustrates how to use DeVIDE's built-in DICOM
browsing support: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLfu6JXkWP4

The simplest way for you to convert DICOM to something that VTK can
understand is the following:
1. Drag and drop the DCM files onto the DeVIDE canvas, it will
automatically create a fully configured DICOMReader block. If your
files don't have a DCM extension, first create the DICOMReader block,
then drag and drop the files onto that block.
2. Create a vtiWRT (this is a VTK format VTI writer block) and
configure the save filename by double-clicking on the block.
3. Connect the first output of the DICOMReader to the first input of the vtiWRT
4. Press F5
5. You now have a VTI file that you can read with a vtkXMLImageDataReader

Let me know if you would like a screencast of this.

See you,
Charl