[vtkusers] Temporal Data in VTK

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Apr 22 13:04:42 EDT 2010

VTK's time support isn't really about a particular data structure. The
temporal data structures you mention are really only intended to be
used inside VTK's internal pipeline classes.

Time in VTK is more about how the pipeline acts. That is the pipeline
can ask for data at one or more times, and the reader is responsible
for providing the data that is asked for.

So what you are looking for is a vtkAlgorithm, not a vtkDataObject.
The algorithm has to know how to respond to different time requests by
reading in an passing along the input data corresponding to that time.
I think the best place to find that is vtkFileSeriesReader, which is
in the ParaView source tree.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer