[vtkusers] Temporal Data in VTK

Rocco Gasteiger post at rocco-gasteiger.de
Wed Apr 21 07:34:30 EDT 2010

Dear VTK-users,

I want to process temporal data sets with vtk. I have two dicom data sets as
input, which I want to compose to one vtk data set if this is possible. The
first data set stores the anatomy for each slice and time step. The second
one holds flow information for each slice and time step.  I have successful
converted these dicom files in two vtkImageData objects and want to compose
them into one vtkImageData. Based on these data set I want to apply some
flow visualization techniques like vtkStreamLine. But this seems not to be
efficient and crashes if the data sets are too big.

My question is: Is there any other classes which are more appropriate for
storing and processing temporal data. I have found some relevant classes
like vtkTemporalDataSet and vtkTemporalDataSetAlgorithm which refer to these
kind of data. So is this the right way to process temporal data or I’m
wrong? If not, is it possible to compose multiple vtkImageData to one
vtkTemporalDataSet? I have only found examples in which a file is reading
and converted to a vtkTemporalDataSet (see
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Time_Support). Can somebody give me a small
example or hints what I have to do when I’m reading temporal data “from
scratch”.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Rocco Gasteiger

Dipl.-Ing. Rocco Gasteiger

Otto-von-Guericke University

Faculty of Computer Science

Department of Simulation and Graphics

Universitätsplatz 2, 39106 Magdeburg, Germany

Office:  G29-223

Phone:   +49 391 67 127 59

Fax:     +49 391 67 111 64

Website:  <http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/cvcms/>