[vtkusers] Deleting cells from an unstructured grid..??

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 14:01:09 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Rakesh Patil <rakeshthp at in.com> wrote:

> Hello users,
>
> Is there a possible way to implement the deletion of a cell using
> vtkIdFilter and vtkClipDataSet..?? I was just thinking whether it can be
> done as i need it very badly..
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> Rakesh Patil

The problem lies in the topology (cells) defined on the unstructured grid.
If you delete some points (read re-add all of the points except the ones you
don't want) , then the IDs of the points that the cells use will now be
incorrect. You'd also have to loop through all of the cells and adjust their
point ids, and this doesn't seem trivial because if the points are deleted
in non-contiguous blocks, you have a lot of things to keep track of.

I definitely agree that we should build this sort of "DeletePoints" filter.

Thanks,

David