[vtkusers] How to check if a vtkPolyData object is a closed surface

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Wed Apr 14 08:35:45 EDT 2010

Dear mailing list members,

We want to check if our vtkPolyData surface is closed because the
normals from the output of vtkPolyDataNormals with AutoOrientNormalsOn
are not consistently pointing outwards. Strangely with
AutoOrientNormalsOff they all normals seem to be pointing outwards.
We tried vtkSelectEnclosedPoints::IsSurfaceClosed() to check if our
vtkPolyData surface is closed but that results in an error when we set
CheckSurfaceOn() and Update the filter.
Is there any other way to check if a surface is closed? It would be nice
if vtkPolyDataNormals had this functionality so that we don't need to
create some input points for vtkSelectEnclosedPoints.
Calling vtkSelectEnclosedPoints::IsSurfaceClosed() without an instance
seems not to be possible in python, or is it?

Any help or hints on this are very much appreciated
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister: AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583