[vtkusers] surface+points representation

Eric E. Monson emonson at cs.duke.edu
Mon Apr 12 13:21:32 EDT 2010

Hey Bill,

Someone else will have to chime in about the memory consumption. I think, though, that if you want both a surface and a "points" representation to be displayed simultaneously, then there's no way around creating both mappings of that data to the render window.

If you set the representation to points (through the actor property, as in your other email) it will render each of the points as an OpenGL vertex. I'm not sure exactly where that part of the code is -- somewhere in the Rendering directory.

If you want to glyph each of the points with a vertex, you can either use the vtkVertexGlyphFilter, or use the vtkGlyphSource2D along with the vtkGlyph3D filter. There are examples of how to do this in the Tests linked from the Doxygen docs:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkVertexGlyphFilter.html
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGlyphSource2D.html
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGlyph3D.html

Again, someone else will have to step in if you need more details of the actual OpenGL (or Mesa, etc) rendering.

Hope this helps,
-Eric