[vtkusers] Updating the RenderWindows after user interaction

Sebastian Gatzka sebastian.gatzka at stud.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Apr 8 13:19:52 EDT 2010

Hi Eric and VTK-Users.

Yes, there is a misunderstanding! Let me explain.

I’m using VTK to visualize simulation results from our own CFD-software.

All parameters concerning the visualization is controlled through a C++-class in our (!) code.

When the VTK-part is called to visualize it loops through all the parameters.

It will check if the user wants to have scalar or vector data – especially which kind of scalar data (there are more than one).

Further it will check if there should be an implicit cutting plane or vector glyphs or streamlines.

The list goes on and on with stuff like this.

So, then interesting part is when the user changes some parameters these changes will only affect the information stored in our own class.

The VTK-part will not know anything about it, unless it will begin looping through the parameters again.

The VTK-stuff is isolated inside a function ShowRenderWindow() and everything concerning VTK will happen within.

This also means that when the user changes anything of the parameters he will be located inside a callback-function inside the ShowRenderWindow-function!

So the question will be: How can I convince the code to re-run the function ShowRenderWindow while the program is currently active inside this function?!

Hope I made myself clear.

Thanks so far.

Sebastian