[vtkusers] Installing VTK 5.4.2 for VisualStudio2005

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 08:24:25 EDT 2010

> I have generated VTK542 using cmake and cmake does create a new folder with stuff inside, but this folder differs from what I meant. In that folder there are:
>
> - Cmake
> - CmakeFiles
> - CmakeTmp
> - Common
> - Filtering
> - GenericFIltering
> - Geovis
> - Graphics
> - Hybrid
> ... and so on
>
> what I was expecting to have is a folder with only:
>
>  - bin
>  - include
>  - lib
>
> inside, so that I can reference the "bin" folder into my VS2005 project and start programming with VTK. I can't find that "bin" folder in the data Cmake created. Do I have to do something else so that that "bin" and "lib" folders are created?

There is no automatic way to generate the vtk in the way you want. It
is assumed that users of vtk will use CMake for their own projects. If
you do not want to do that (I can understand it is a lot of work
learning a new process) you will have to adjust your program for the
new structure or to manipulate the files so that they are in the
directory structure you desire.

John