[vtkusers] vtkKWImage: Doesn't it load ordinary image series?

jleandro jleandro at vision.ime.usp.br
Tue Apr 6 12:06:27 EDT 2010

Hi, all

While struggling to read a .tiff image series with VTK, I've found out that
the widely used way to achieve it is by using ITK (itkImageSeriesReader.h)
for reading and then VTK for visualization. The challenge is passing ITK and
VTK image data back and forth by connecting their filters and checking types
of images every time and then.

I got quite excited when I saw that it was implemented in 2007 a special
class to ease this task, the
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/146 vtkKWImage (click
here)  class. It works out splendidly well to read and write one image only.

Since there's no other documentation, apart from the Insight journal
aforementioned, I wound up looking into its code and saw that the only type
of image series it is able to read is DICOM, however I wish I could read a
bunch of images (01.tif, 02.tif, ..., 33.tif) into a ITK/VTK 3D
datastructure (a volume, perhaps .mhd?) so that I could apply clipping and
projection operations onto the volume.

So, isn't vtkKWImage able to read an images series (.tif, .png, .jpg, .bmp),
other than DICOM? Will I have to use itkImageSeriesReader.h anyway?

Regards