[vtkusers] Free x server memory

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Tue Apr 6 10:19:04 EDT 2010

Hello,

If there is a leak in the Xserver after the vtk based program exit
then this is out of the scope of VTK.

It can be a bug in your X server or it can be some result that the X
server caches (it can cache a database of fonts and symbols).

What happen when you start/exit another application regarding the X
server memory consumption (try a big app like Firefox, try an
OpenGL-based app like glxgears)? How do you measure this memory
consumption?

What's your OS, graphics cards, graphics card driver?

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 8:33 AM, Mathieu P <mtp.vtk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually i cannot delete vtkRenderWindow or vtkRenderWindowInteractor
> without program crash.
>
> I am using QVTKWidget, and i cannot understand why my X Server continue to
> have 300MB loaded in memory after program exit...
>
> I have already tried some vtkRenderWindow->Finalize() and
> vtkRenderWindowInteractor->Start()...
>

> Cordialement,
>
> -- Mathieu PICCIN
>

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Mathieu P <mtp.vtk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am loading a huge data set of points (to display lungtrees) with VTK.
>> When i exit the application i have 300 MB of memory used by my X Server.
>>
>> I have tried to Delete renderer, renderWindow, renderWindowInteractor,
>> without any change.
>>
>> I have also tried to use the VTK WIKI way to delte point, but no
>> success...
>>
>> Is there a specific way to free memory from the X Server when exiting vtk
>> ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Cordialement,
>>
>> -- Mathieu PICCIN

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive