[vtkusers] VTK java examples work? TreeViews.java shows blank windows.

Bladek, Anthony Anthony.Bladek at pnl.gov
Thu Apr 1 17:49:47 EDT 2010

All,
   As I stated previously, I am having trouble getting a vtkTree to appear in a JFrame based Java application (on Windows).  I get a blank window with no tree appearing inside.  I was following the example TreeViews.java which comes with the VTK distribution (\Examples\Infovis\Java), so just as an experiment I copied the code directly into Eclipse and ran it with no modifications and it does the same thing as my application.  The JFrame and the four internal windows show up just fine as does the menu but the random tree which appears to be generated in the first lines of code does not show up. Each window has a black background with nothing visible.  The graph I created in my app is visible and looks just fine when I try to view it in a vtkGraphLayoutView . It only disappears when I try to put it in a JFrame using vtkRenderWindowPanel.

Has anyone else seen this?   I am running VTK built from the source (version 5.4.2) on a Windows XP Service Pack 3 machine. It was built using the Visual Studio C++ Express compiler.   I was wondering if this might be a Windows artifact of some sort. (DirectX vs. OpenGl?)  Is there anyone who can get this example to run on a Linux machine? Any other thoughts on why this might be failing?

Thanks...

Anthony