[vtkusers] OBBTree animation

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 08:38:35 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Francois Bertel
<francois.bertel at kitware.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1. Yes, it is possible to include images within doxygen:
>
> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkSobelGradientMagnitudePass.html
> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkGlobeSource.html
>
> For example, vtkSobelGradientMagnitudePass.h has the following lines
> in the description of the class:
>
> // \image html vtkSobelGradientMagnitudePassFigure.png
> // \image latex vtkSobelGradientMagnitudePassFigure.eps
>

> 2. Read the hyperoctree description again:
>
> "An hyperoctree is a dataset where each node has either exactly 2^n
> children **** or no child at all  **** if the node is a leaf."
>
> Actually, it is missing that "n" is the dimension of the hyperoctree
> (n=1,2 or 3) so it is a binary tree (n=1)  a quadtree (n=2) or an
> octree (n=3)
>
> Also, in the doc: "Warning:  It is not a spatial search object! If you
> looking for this kind of octree see vtkCellLocator instead."
>
> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkHyperOctree.html

I looked into vtkPointLocator. It seems to produce a single level of
space subdivision whose bucket sizes are specified by
SetNumberOfPointsPerBucket. Is this correct?

I also saw
"Warning: Many other types of spatial locators have been developed
such as octrees and kd-trees. These are often more efficient for the
operations described here."

Again, I seem to be missing the vtkOctree. Does it exist under a different name?

Also, I noticed that the documentation for
vtkPointLocator::GetNumberOfPointsPerBucket is incorrect: "Set the
number of divisions in x-y-z directions. "
(http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPointLocator.html#ac8bb41d8b7f77c4c9d3113cccef62827)

I grepped my whole source tree and did not find
GetNumberOfPointsPerBucket at all. I checked out a fresh version and
still couldn't find it. Why does this function seem to not exist??

Thanks,

David