[vtkusers] can't write obj files

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sat May 30 13:34:10 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Gabriele <zibalmail at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks David,
>
> So, is this a known bug?
>
> Recompiling with your patch is not that easy for me as I am on a managed
> machine. I have just tried to compile VTK on my home directory and
> everything seemed to go fine, but when I later tried to compile my
> application (which uses vtk), I get all sort of undefined reference errors
> at link time, mainly opengl related...
>
> I'll keep trying, but if anyone has a guess it'll be highly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,

Gabriele -

It's not a bug - it seems like it has been left out on purpose since
vtkOBJWriter does not exist. We'll leave it to the experts to explain why,
but it seems to me that OBJ is a very commonly used format that it would be
convenient to be able to read and write to.

I'd say you have to change your PATH to reflect the new location of your vtk
libraries, are you using window or linux? In linux you'd put something like
this in your ~/.bashrc :

export VTK_DIR="/home/your_user_name/bin/VTK"

I don't know why the linking errors would be openGL specific though. Can you
show us the exact errors you are getting?

Thanks,

David