[vtkusers] Modifying and building vtk dotnet code.....

Theodore Holden theodoreholden at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 15:15:51 EDT 2009

Hi....

I need some sort of a handle into the dotnet wrapper (SourceForge) for VTK.

The obvious place for it is vtkSimplePointsReader.  That is provided with VTK as a model for designing readers and if I could modify and build it I could easily enough make it do what I need it to do, i.e. modify the RequestData function to take data from values already in memory rather than write and then re-read .vtk files.

Nonetheless the system appears highly resistent to any attempts at modifying anything.  Attempts to modify the PrintSelf function to return a recognizable string of my own choosing appear to compile and build but behave as if I had not made changes when using the function and an attempt to insert a function of my own, i.e.

const char *bearFunction()
    {
            return "Bears rule!!!!";
    }

compiles but produces the following:

Linking...
vtkSimplePointsReaderDotNet.obj : error LNK2028:unresolved token (0A00036E) "public: char const * __thiscall vtkSimplePointsReader::bearFunction(void)" (?bearFunction at vtkSimplePointsReader@@$$FQAEPBDXZ) referenced in function "public: class System::String ^ __clrcall vtk::vtkSimplePointsReader::bearFunction(void)" (?bearFunction at vtkSimplePointsReader@vtk@@$$FQ$AAMP$AAVString at System@@XZ)
vtkSimplePointsReaderDotNet.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: char const * __thiscall vtkSimplePointsReader::bearFunction(void)" (?bearFunction at vtkSimplePointsReader@@$$FQAEPBDXZ) referenced in function "public: class System::String ^ __clrcall vtk::vtkSimplePointsReader::bearFunction(void)" (?bearFunction at vtkSimplePointsReader@vtk@@$$FQ$AAMP$AAVString at System@@XZ)
D:\vtk_testing\vtk501binSS5\bin\Debug\vtkIODotNet.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Caching metadata information for d:\vtk_testing\vtk501binss5\bin\debug\vtkcommondotnet.dll...
Caching metadata information for d:\vtk_testing\vtk501binss5\bin\debug\vtkfilteringdotnet.dll...
Build log was saved at "file://d:\vtk_testing\vtk501binSS5\IO\vtkIODotNet.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
vtkIODotNet - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Likewise every other thing I've tried to insert something miniscule just to convince myself I'd succeeded in modifying this thing and having it build is rejected one way or another.  At least one other .h/.cxx pair contains an include for <vtk/std/string and a function which returns

vtkstd::string errorMessage;

or some such;  when I try it the compiler has no clue what I'm referring to.  I get the distinct impression I'm looking at something the wrong way and would appredciate any thoughts anybody might have.

Ted