[vtkusers] Updating an Image Cache Filter

Mark Bolstad the.render.dude at gmail.com
Wed May 13 11:15:14 EDT 2009

I have a pipeline that looks like:

ImageReader2->ImageMapToColors
                                                             \

ImageBlender-> ImageCacheFilter->ImageActor
                                                            /
ImageReader2->ImageMapToColors

In the application, users pick sections from a single layer from a stack of
images (volume) and apply operations to them. For example, one operation may
be to select a region and split into N separate areas. The changes are small
relative to the size of the image volumes, So we only want to retain the
modifications, and reload them into the image reader output when the user
steps off and returns to the current image slice.

Now while this may not be the most efficient way to do this, due to
operations in the application I need to change the output data from *one* of
the readers corresponding to the plane defined by the image actor as
described above. We're dealing with pretty large image volumes, so we don't
want to force an Update of the ImageReader.

So, a couple of questions:

1. If I bash the values in reader.GetOutput() will they propagate up the
pipeline? (in small tests they seem to)
2. If the answer above is yes, How do you flush the cache from the
imagecachefilter?
3. If #1 is no, then am I better off just writing my own caching method, or
is there a better way (there's always a better way, I want the one with the
least effort).

Thanks,
Mark