[vtkusers] Parallel volume rendering

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Jun 30 17:28:41 EDT 2009

You might want to look at IceT, which is included in the ParaView source code.

My apologies if the rest of the email is pedantic for you.
The basic task is to:
1) split the volume up amongst the processors - this can be done by
assigning each filter a separate update extent or using extract voi or
different files for example
2) volume render each processor's sub volume locally, all using the
same transfer function, viewpoint etc
3) decide upon a back to front (or possible front to back) ordering
for the subvolumes
4) communicate the locally generated images, including alpha, across
the network and
5) alpha blend each image in turn to produce the final result

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive