[vtkusers] Creating 3D-Hull of moving Ellipse

Hackbard_C Hackbard_C at gmx.de
Wed Jun 24 08:13:52 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have a problem and I dont know how to handle it. I have an animation of a
moving ellipse (in 3D) with changing radii (see sample code, the function
tick is used inside a loop).

array<Vector3D> radiusData = ...;
array<Vector3D> posData = ...;
// vtkEllipse is a selfmade class, vtkSphereSource with vtkTransform so that
i can easily change the radii
vtkEllipse* e;

void tick(int t)
{

  // e.x = posData.x; e.y = posData.y; e.z = posData.z;
  e->setPosition(posData[t]);

  // e.radX = radiusData.x; e.radY = radiusData.y; e.radZ = radiusData.z;
  // ... e->trans->Scale(e.radX, e.radY, e.radZ);
  e->setRadius(radiusData[t]);
  e->Update();
}

Now i want to create a 3D-hull that visualize the path of my moving ellipse
(with linear interpolation). Every point which was inside my ellipse at any
time (and only these points) should be inside the hull.
So from EllipseT will be a kind of tube to EllipseTPlusOne, from
EllipseTPlusOne to EllipseTPlusTwo and so on... Unfortunalety I have no idea
how to realize this.
Is it possible to draw all ellipses and use some ContourFilter or something
else?

With kind regards,
  Hackbard_C