[vtkusers] vtkPolyDataNormals SetNormals() crashes on vtk 5.4

Jorge jballesterosruiz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 04:23:23 EDT 2009

Hello.

I have an application that has been ported from vtk 4.4 to vtk 5.4. I
used a Tcl Wrapper for the execution. The problem is that when i am
trying to execute the application compiled with the vtk 5.4, the
application crashes.

The purpose of the execution is to deform some points of a vtkPolyData
object.

An excerpt of the c++ code that is wrapped in tcl:

vtkPolyDataNormals *Filter = vtkPolyDataNormals::New();
vtkPolyData *Organ = vtkPolyData::New();

Filter->ComputePointNormalsOn();
Filter->FlipNormalsOff();
Filter->NonManifoldTraversalOn();
Filter->SetFeatureAngle(60.0);

vtkPoints* points=Organ->GetPoints();

//move/deform some Points of the PolyData

Filter->SetInput(Organ);

Filter->Update();

Organ->GetPointData()->SetNormals(Filter->GetOutput()->GetPointData()->GetNormals());

When using vtk4.4  everything is working fine but when I migrate to
vtk5.4 there is crash at the time I try to SetNormals() with the Normals
of the output of the filter.

Any help/hint on this will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Jorge B.
Motiva.