[vtkusers] Python ICP giving eigenfunctions errors

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 10:20:27 EDT 2009

> Hi David,
>
> I'm using VTK 5.4.2 and compiled it on my 64-bit Gnu/Linux machine running
> kernel 2.6.25.18.
>
> See attached the files needed.
> One should be able to run the algorithm through the run_VTKICP.py file - it
> basically constructs a class that is in the other file and runs the ICP
> algo.
>
> ciao,
> Sean.

Sean,

I also get the eigenfunction errors when running your python conversion of
the ICP example. I looked carefully at your code. The only thing I saw that
was different was the second target point, but even when I changed it to:
id = targetPoints.InsertNextPoint(0.0, 1.0, 0.0)

to match my c++ example, it still produces the eigenfunction error. This
could be a bug in the python wrapper? Can one of the experts take a look?

As I said before, this error is produced *correctly* (although it could
probably be caught and reported in a much easier to understand way - like
"degenerate transformation") when the transformation is not possible, but
since we know that it IS possible in this case, I'd guess it is a problem
with how python is passing along the point or polydata arrays? I have no
idea how to check that though.

Thanks,

David