[vtkusers] Sharpen Filter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jun 10 07:55:20 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Yes,
adding the sharpened version of the image to
the original image is a common thing to do.

However, if you reconsider the expression:

  Sharpened image = Image - K . Smoothing( Image, Sigma )

and then the suggested addition:

  Final Image = Image + Sharpened Image

which is equivalent to:

  Final Image = Image * 2 - K . Smoothing( Image, Sigma )

You may agree with me in that the final image comes
down to a pixel-wise linear combination of the original
image and its smoothed version.

such as:

   Final Image = A . Image - B . Smoothing( Image, Sigma )

You can select the values of constants A and B to match
any normalization constrains that you may have on the
output image.

BTW:
   You could consider packaging this into a VTK filter
   and contributing it back to the community by submitting
   a technical report to the Insight Journal    :-)
   http://www.insight-journal.org/

   In that way other users will benefit from your efforts.

   Regards,

         Luis