[vtkusers] Sharpen Filter

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Jun 9 10:17:43 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

Assuming that you are doing this just for the purpose of providing
an image for visualization, as opposed to an image that is going
to undergo further processing...

You can build a quick sharpen filter by taking the original image
and subtracting from it its smoothed version.

>From the spectral point of view, this is equivalent to removing
low frequencies from the image, hence equivalent to enhancing
high spatial frequencies.

You may want to go a step further and multiply the smoothed
image by a constant to get some control on how much you
attenuate the low frequencies.

In pseudocode you end up with

  Sharpened image = Image - K . Smoothing( Image, Sigma )

    Typically K will be in the range [0,1].

and... you may want to go with a large Sigma, (e.g. spanning
more pixels than the details that you want to enhance).

   Regards,

        Luis