[vtkusers] Lightweight Visualisation (via VTK) Software

Shakes Shekhar.Chandra at sci.monash.edu.au
Thu Jun 4 03:26:00 EDT 2009

Hi David,

I found Paraview and VTK daunting to use at first and certain things
weren't obvious. DGV was designed as a first step program so that one
could quickly check the data one produces without having to learn and/or
understand VTK and/or Paraview.

I also needed quick 1D plots, their animations and transforms and to see
raw image data. On a side note, the DGV API has a much more simple
interface than VTK imo (i.e. wrapper around VTK), making VTK usage
easier. For instance a Surface Plot is:

DGVSurfacePlotVTK *plot = new DGVSurfacePlotVTK;
     plot->setName(name);
     plot->setData(data);
     plot->generatePlot();
     plot->generateAxes();
     plot->show();

It will in future be designed with custom Discrete Tomography methods
which are currently part of my PhD. Hope that answers some of your
questions about DGV.

Cheers
Shakes