[vtkusers] marching cubes on an implicit surface

Christian Walder chwa at imm.dtu.dk
Mon Jul 6 07:44:33 EDT 2009

Dear All,

I am completely new to vtk, and I am hoping it can solve my problem:

I have an implicit surface function mapping from R^3 to R (from three
dimensions to a scalar value), and I would like to run a marching cubes
type algorithm on it, to extract a mesh which approximates the zero
level set of the function. In principle it should be possible to use
some marching cubes library to do this by e.g. passing a pointer to the
function which evaluates the implicit surface function, along with
perhaps a bounding box and resolution, etc. However, from taking a quick
look it seems that vtk can only do this for voxel data, ie for functions
which are defined numerically on a 3D grid.

Does anyone know if it is in fact possible to do what I want? If so, can
anyone recommend a good reference or place to start?

best regards,

Christian