[vtkusers] Conversion from VRML into VTK format

Nour Mestiri nourmestiri at yahoo.fr
Thu Jan 29 06:32:58 EST 2009

Hey Fabian,
Thank you one more time for your helpful answer.
I did what you told me, but i always have problems. I post you my new code and please try to tell me what is wrong on it.
Can you also telle me how to use the "SafeDownCast" method for the "GeometryFilter"?

vtkVRMLImporter *imp = vtkVRMLImporter::New();
imp->SetFileName(Fichier);
imp->Read();
imp->Update();

vtkDataSet *pDataset;
vtkActorCollection *actors = imp->GetRenderer()->GetActors();
actors->InitTraversal();
pDataset = actors->GetNextActor()->GetMapper()->GetInput();

vtkGeometryFilter *geometryFilter = vtkGeometryFilter::New();
geometryFilter->SetInput(pDataset);

vtkPolyData *polyData = vtkPolyData::New();
polyData = geometryFilter->GetOutput();
polyData->Update();

vtkPolyDataWriter *writer = vtkPolyDataWriter::New();
strcat(vrmlFileName,".vtk");
writer->SetFileName(vrmlFileName);
writer->SetFileTypeToASCII();

ostream *vtkFile = writer->OpenVTKFile();
*vtkFile << "DATASET POLYDATA\n";
writer->SetHeader("vtkFile");
writer->WriteCells(vtkFile, polyData->GetPolys(), "POLYGONS");
writer->CloseVTKFile(vtkFile);

Thank you sooo much