[vtkusers] libvtkCommon.so.5.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Liam Kurmos quantum.leaf at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 18 13:39:29 EST 2009

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me clear this up. I'm using the java bindings.

Is setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH="...../vtk/bin" equivalent to using java
-Djava.library.path=...../vtk/bin filename

i always thought so and im sure i did have problems using the latter method
last time i used vtk, however im finding that if i export LD_LIBRARY_PATH i
can run the Cone example, but if i instead use the -Djava.library.path=
method then i get:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/home/zoizoi/sunLoom/silk/VTK/bin/libvtkCommonJava.so.5.2.1:
libvtkCommon.so.5.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

note the the path im using is valid, if it wasnt i would get  no
vtkCommonJava in java.library.path

.... can anyone tell me why this is happening?

i'm using netbeans 6.5 in ubuntu 8.10, and id rather not have to set the
environment variable. More than that, id like to know whats going on ..

Liam