[vtkusers] How to smooth (or filter) polydata scalars?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Tue Jan 13 17:07:44 EST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 17:20 +0100, Fabio Meneghini wrote:
> Hi to all,
> I'd like to know if there's a way to filter (especially smoothing,
> highpass, lowpass, etc..) the scalar values of a polydata. That is,
> not the geometry itself, but just the scalar dataset.

It is possible to filter the scalars associated with a polydata. There
may be filters that do this but I don't know them. You can always make a
copy of the scalars, for each point, get all the cells it belongs to,
for each cell get all of the points in the cell, for each of those
points get the scalars, average them assign the average to the first
points scalar in the copy... It's messy and slower than how it would be
done in a proper filter but it'd work.