[vtkusers] Clip or slice merges discontinuous scalar information...How can I avoid this???

Gerrick Bivins gbivins at objectreservoir.com
Wed Jan 7 17:45:09 EST 2009

I've created a grid which has discontinuous point data using vtkShrinkFilter
as described in the below:
http://www.nabble.com/How-to-write-discontinuous-field-data-to17916695.html#a17916695

However, whenever I attempt to "Slice" (vtkCutter with vtkPlane) or "Clip"
(vtkClipDataSet) the dataset and display the result, it looks as if the
duplicate points created by the shrink filter are merged back together or at
least that's what it looks like. (see attached).

Incorrect:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21341735/discontinousClip_Error.png

I was able to correct the error with the clip by repeating the ShrinkFilter
Hack described in the above mentioned link but using a shrink factor of
.99999999 (using 1.0 didn't fix the problem).
Correct with clip:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21341735/discontinousClip_CorrectWithHACK.png

Trying the same with a slice produced invalid results(the area of interest
is not even generated!!!):
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21341735/discontinousSlice_Error.png :

Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this? I've tried resetting the
point locator to use a generic point locator rather than the vtkMergePoints
but this had no effect.
I can provide a sample dataset that exhibits this problem.
Thanks in advance,
Gerrick