[vtkusers] isosurfacing with volume

c674 c674332 at web.de
Wed Jan 7 05:57:47 EST 2009

Hi,

what I'm trying to accomplish is laying a surface around an object in an
unstructured grid, represented by several cubes (isosurfacing).
Afterwards I want to have both, the surface and the original object in one
model, in order to make slices in paraview possible.
So far I went this way:

vtkUnstructuredGrid -> vtkThreshold -> vtkImplicitModeller ->
vtkContourFilter -> vtkPolyData
and
vtkUnstructuredGrid -> vtkGeometryFilter -> vtkPolyData
then I appended both PolyData using vtkAppendPolyData.

The surface looks very good, but when cutting the new object in paraview the
cubes within have no volume. I didn't notice polyData could not represent
cubes and that the vtkGeometryFilter only extracts the surface of my
unstructured grid.

My question: What is the working alternative to this way? Unfortunately
there seems to be no filter that converts vtkPolyData to
vtkUnstructuredGrid, if there was one I could simply convert the surface to
an unstructuredgrid and append the surface and original grid using the
vtkAppendFilter.

Thanks for reading this, I appreciate any input.