[vtkusers] PerformAlgorithm in Infovis and missing vertex labels

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Tue Jan 6 09:11:30 EST 2009

The dynamic labeler in the graph layout view will only work with
labels constrained to a plane. vtkLabeledDataMapper is a simple
labeler that labels all data points in 2D or 3D, but will create a lot
of clutter if you have many vertices in your graph. There is a
prototype dynamic 3D labeller (which does not allow overlaps) called
vtkLabelPlacer. It requires that you perform vtkLabelSizeCalculator to
determine the size of the labels, and that you also use
vtkPointSetToLabelHierarchy to build a data structure used for placing
your labels. See Rendering/Testing/Cxx/TestLabelPlacer.cxx for an
example on how to use it. In that example, points of a vtkPolyData are
labeled, but it can be done that same way for a vtkGraph also.

You may also want to consider using vtkGraphMapper instead of the code
in PerformAlgorithm. It rolls the glyphing and other filters for
displaying a graph into one place, and should simplify your code.

Jeff