[vtkusers] is Vtk 5.2.1 64 bit clean?

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Sat Feb 14 23:16:58 EST 2009

There are those issues and possible issues with 32 bit math results
being placed into a 64 bit value such as the following:

int x, y, z;

int64 total = x * y * z;

on the surface that looks fine, but what happens when x * y * z goes
beyond the max signed int value? It rolls over and you get all sorts
of weird errors.

  I found and fixed a few of these last year and others have gone on
the "64 bit hunt" before but no one really sure just where the rest of
the bugs are at.

   Thorough testing of your extremely large data sets is well
warranted. I'm not trying to take anything away from VTK. I think it
is a wonderful toolkit that has allowed me to help people solve real
problems. Just a word of caution that if your data sets start getting
large (into 64 bit territory) be ready to possibly hunt down some bugs
in the VTK code.

---
Mike Jackson                 www.bluequartz.net