[vtkusers] FFMPEG for VTK?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Dec 1 09:36:55 EST 2009

The recommended way to get ffmpeg to work with vtk is to download the
old version of ffmpeg that is known to work with VTK from from
http://www.vtk.org/VTK/resources/software.html#addons, and follow the
directions in the README.

If you need to use a modern ffmpeg then FFMPEG_INCLUDE should point to
a directory that has ffmpeg/avformat.h in it. If you can't find that
in /usr/include, find out where ubuntu's ffmpeg package puts it.Note,
some linux distributions have separate developer and user packages and
you generally have to install the developer package to get the header
files, but I do not suspect that is the problem in this case.

You will also have to change the vtk ffmpeg exporter class to work
with the new ffmpeg library. I recall seeing a patch on the mailing
list or the bug tracker that does that, but I can't seem to track it
down right now.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer