[vtkusers] vtkCleanPolyData/vtkCompositeDataPipeline possible bug

Alex Malyushytskyy alexmalvtk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 16:46:52 EDT 2009

I am reading stl files and using vtkCompositeDataPipeline do display
the vtkPolyData
It seems it works well, but I need to modify some data and wanted to
use vtkCleanPolyData after I do that.
Also I thought it could be useful to keep only non-degraded geometry,
so I added vtkCleanPolyData

And I got an error:

ERROR: In ..\..\..\VTK-5.4.2\Filtering\vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
line 747
vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0F01F048): No maximum number of pieces has
been set in the information for output port 0 on algorithm
vtkCleanPolyData(0F01E3C8).

The code looks like:

	vtkSmartPointer<vtkSTLReader> sr = vtkSmartPointer<vtkSTLReader>::New();
	sr->SetFileName( ... );

	vtkSmartPointer<vtkCleanPolyData> clean =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkCleanPolyData>::New();
	clean->PointMergingOn();
	clean->SetAbsoluteTolerance(0.1);
	clean->CreateDefaultLocator();
	clean->SetInputConnection( 0, sr->GetOutputPort(0) );

	clean->Update();

	clean->SetOutput( this ); // this is a pointer to subclass of vtkPolyData

It looks like a bug in vtkCleanPolyData or  wrong assumption in
vtkCompositeDataPipeline .

I don't have enough knowledge about VTK to judge so decided to ask if
anybody can make any comment on this.

Regards,
    Alex