[vtkusers] 3D constrained delaunay triangulation

Bo Li li_rapo at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 16:40:11 EST 2008

Hi Bill,
I don't see anything for 3d constrained Delaunay triangulation from the documentation of vtkDelaunay3D. I know for 2D constrained Delaunay the vtk people is trying to use the boundary polygons to recover the shape of the domain. 3D cases of course are much more complicated, even the usual flip technique does not work well here(it has been proved mathematically it is an NP problem to prove the triangulation graph with flip is connected). But people in computational graphics does come up with some approaches to do the 3D contrained Delaunay including surface recovery algorithms. So my question is whether vtk has the functionality to use such techniques rebuilding the surface from the delaunay triangulation of the convex hull of the point set. Thank you for your information.

Rapo