[vtkusers] error: invalid conversion from 'GLint*' to 'long int*'

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Tue Nov 4 10:11:41 EST 2008

On Nov 4, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Carl Trapani wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Michael Jackson wrote:
>>
>> The one that is used depends on what your SDK is set to. Looking at
>> the above I am assuming you are on OS X 10.4. When you installed
>> Xcode you also installed the 10.3.9 SDK. You also have X11
>> installed and something else 3rd party in /usr/local. Framework
>> includes are kinda odd. OpenGL/gl.h is properly resolved because
>> you take the name of the framework (OpenGL) and then the name of
>> the header (gl.h) and you get #include <OpenGL/gl.h>.
> Well, I'm going to wipe my machine and start clean. I inherited it
> from a Linux guy (I think he updated OpenGL to incompatible version)
> and then I butchered it by adding FLTK (probably the wrong version),
> ITK and VTK in various poorly chosen directories like /Developer/
> Applications (prior to your advice in another post). I will keep
> things in my home directory going forward or installed in Users/
> Shared.

This is what I do:
    I have /Users/Shared/OpenSource/ where I put stuff like VTK, ITK,
ParaView and such
    I have /Users/Shared/Toolkits where I actually have the
installations of VTK, ITK, ParaView after they are compiled.

    Inside my home directory I have 'Workspace' which is an Eclipse
CDT workspace where I have my own projects.

    Note that /usr/local is NOT by default created on a clean OS X
installation. Some packages insist on putting things in there which is
reasonably safe since it is NOT on the path. You will have to edit
your .bash_profile to append /usr/local/bin to your PATH variable.

------- DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS ---------
/usr/*   (except /usr/local)
/System/*
/bin
/dev
/net
/private
/sbin
/Developer

    All of these locations should be considered OFF limits because
Apple will at their own discretion put stuff or delete stuff from
those locations WITHOUT asking you first or at least making it clear
what they are doing. Just consider those areas as Apple's playground
and you are not invited.

Fink and MacPorts use /opt and /sw to put their products into which is
a reasonable good idea because Apple does not as of yet use those
directories for anything so getting rid of Find or MacPorts packages
is reasonably safe.

You can put your own items in /opt or /sw BUT those directories are
not default on any OS X system which is why I like /Users/Shared/*
because /Users/Shared IS by default created on OS X installations.

OS X _is_ unix and 'linux-like' BUT you don't administer it like a
unix/linux machine.

>>> I guess I'll look and see if I can't update OpenGL for my Mac.
>>> Anyone know how I would do that? More generally, (I know this is
>>> off topic, sorry) anyone know how I manage software/libraries on
>>> the Mac OS 10.4?
>>
>> The only "Official" updates would be from Apple. If you are running
>> OS X 10.4.11 then you have the latest version of OpenGL for your
>> system. There are no other updates. I believe these problems are
>> coming from OS X 10.5, where Apple redid some of the typedefs for
>> OpenGL which I think breaks some apps. Sean McBride knows more
>> about this than anyone else. Look in the bug tracker for this
>> problem because I know it is in there.
>>

>> Managing Software on OS X is generally done through Drag and Drop
>> for most applications. Some come with an installer. Official
>> updates to the operating system are through "Software
>> Update" (Apple Menu->Software Update). Unfortunately there doesn't
>> seem to be a nice "uninstall" mechanism with OS X so if you install
>> something that scatters files through out your system go to the
>> developer for an uninstaller. Otherwise you typically just drag the
>> application to the trash can to uninstall.
> I'm also going to look at Fink (http://www.finkproject.org/) unless
> you think I should stay away from it?
>
> Thanks,
> Carl

I think for the correct audience Fink or MacPorts can be an excellent
way to get software compiled and installed on your system. They have a
clean approach to installation which is good.