[vtkusers] vtkAVIWriter doesn't work

Amy Squillacote ahs at cfdrc.com
Mon May 12 10:33:36 EDT 2008

Yes, you're correct. The vtkAVIWriter only works (and is only built) on
Windows. You can't use it on linux. VTK does have FFMPEG and MPEG2
writers that can be used in a unix / linux environment, but you will
have to build VTK yourself in order to use either of them. They are not
compiled into VTK by default because there are licensing issues with
both of them: FFMPEG uses the LGPL license, which is incompatible with
VTK's BSD-style license; portions of MPEG2 are patented, so this writer
is not built by default in an effort to keep VTK patent-free. See
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkFFMPEGWriter.html and
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkMPEG2Writer.html for more
information.

- Amy