[vtkusers] Building VTK against static Tcl/Tk libraries

Ritesh Bafna riteshbafna at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:49:06 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to build VTK against static Tcl/Tk libraries with Visual Studio
8 (2005)

I built Tcl/tk using the following commands:
nmake -f makefile.vc INSTALLDIR=c:\Tcl OPTS=static install
nmake -f makefile.vc INSTALLDIR=c:\Tcl TCLDIR=c:\Tcl-Source OPTS=static
install

These commands created tcl85s.lib, tk85s.lib, and tclsh85s.exe.

For VTK I am pointing to the above Tcl/tk related libs and have turned ON
VTK_TCL_TK_STATIC, and turned OFF BUILD_SHARED_LIBS

When I try building VTK I get the following Linker errors and warnings(35 of
them).

tk85s.lib(tkMain.obj) : MSIL .netmodule or module compiled with /GL found;
restarting link with /LTCG; add /LTCG to the link command line to improve
linker performance
LIBCMT.lib(crt0dat.obj) : error LNK2005: __amsg_exit already defined in
MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR80D.dll)
MSVCRTD.lib(MSVCR80D.dll) : error LNK2005: __strdup already defined in
LIBCMT.lib(strdup.obj)
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRTD' conflicts with use of other
libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Can anyone suggest a solution to this?

Thanks,
Ritesh