[vtkusers] Filter floaters

Kevin Osborn planck at netspeed.com.au
Sat Dec 20 18:18:47 EST 2008

I am rendering a 3D DICOM data set acquired as 1mm CT slices from a CT
angiogram. The images therefore contain a lot of noise which has a
similar density value to the tissues of interest. The rendered image
contains multiple small separate objects (floaters). I have tried to
smooth the images before rendering however that just makes the floaters
look smooth :-(. I have used a GE medical workstation in the past that
has a function to filter floaters in a rendered image to remove objects
below a certain size. I have looked through the VTK class list to try to
find a similar filter without luck. Does anyone know of a filter that
would do the job?

Thanks, Kevin