[vtkusers] How to use / export vtkTemporalDataSet ?

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu Dec 4 08:39:34 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Gustavo C Longhin
<longhin at labmec.fec.unicamp.br> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I am trying to write some code using vtkTemporalDataSet with no success.
>   I have a time dependent solution and want to export it to ParaView but
> unfortunately can't get it done.
>   The strategy I idopted was to create for each step a polydata object and
> populate a vtkTemporalDataSet with them.
>   Afterwards I woud like to use any available vtkWriter to export my
> TemporalDataSet so I could open it in ParaView. Is it possible to export a
> TemporalDataSet with any specific vtkWriter ?
>   It seams the vtkTemporalDataSet is bit recent in VTK and therefore
> documentation for it is quite hard to find.
>   Any examples with TemporalDataSet I would appreciate.
>
>   Thanks a lot.
>   Best regards.
>
> Gustavo
>
> --
> Gustavo Camargo Longhin
> LabMeC - FEC - UNICAMP
> +55 (19) 35212396
> +55 (19) 92854509

Hello,

I think vtkTemporalDataSet was not meant to be used directly. It does
group data sets together that collectively define a temporally varying
entity, but it is currently only used deep inside VTK and paraview (to
aggregate results together from non time aware producers to satifsy
input requests from time aware filters).

Instead of trying to use that, simply produce a series of .vtk files
from your polydata. Make sure to name them sequentially,
myresult_t0.vtk, myresult_t1.vtk etc. Paraview will then recognize the
set of them as temporally varying.
see: http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Animating_legacy_VTK_file_series

cheers,
--